Orson, SF

Second visit yesterday. Hubby likes the really cool interior - like being in an upscale loft. We know one of the sous-chefs there, and they always go out of their way to treat us well. However - we get the feeling that we'd be treated a lot more coolly otherwise - the staff doesn't seem particularly friendly. Also, the first visit, they got my order wrong and brought out a burger instead of a steak, and kept forgetting things, like water refills. But we're pretty laid-back, and it didn't detract from the overall experience.

The food is very good, but uneven sometimes (first visit), since the experimental combos don't always work. But overall it's a very nice dining experience for the money. This time the chef made the rounds, stopping by our table too, which was nice. Good to see that she's not just slapped her name to a place then abandon it, like so many others out there. Website. Crappy pics with my mobile, since my camera's on the fritz. But good enough to get an idea of what to expect.

From My Food Adventures

Appetizer: The poached egg, bacon, and asparagus were perfection. The lemon crumbly, not so much. Really nice by itself, but combined didn't work for me.
From My Food Adventures

Appetizer: lovely little dish. Nothing to fault here, wonderful andouille slices combined nicely with the hush puppies, and we could taste a hint of sweet.
From My Food Adventures

Main: Fish and Steak Chips. Very fresh fish fillets nicely breaded and perfectly crispy and light. Second time ordered and just as nice.
From My Food Adventures

Main: Black paella, spicy sausage, squid, piquillo peppers, saffron, aioli. I loved this take on it, definitely NOT traditional. Very fresh seafood. Could have eaten another plate of this easily.
From My Food Adventures

Desserts kinda fall down both times, which is weird, since the chef's expertise is desserts. I haven't found anything that I've really liked. This one's the Strawberry gelee something. Hubby liked the fresh fruit.
From My Food Adventures

They were so kind to send this out compliments of the kitchen. The cookies were good, and the pistachio nougat too, but the rest of it was just meh.
From My Food Adventures

Dessert: Santorini - cardamom date filo cigar, candied kumquats, yogurt, pinenuts, honey. Nothing really wrong with this dish, but I just wasn't too enthused.
From My Food Adventures

Comments

Popular Posts